In order to achieve a HD for this brief you need to:
- Meet all the requirements of the brief
- Creatively explore ideas and outcomes
- Have solid justification and reference for design choices
- No typos or grammatical errors and consistent formatting in any written
- Show comprehensive documentation of planning and development
- Demonstrate good time management skills
1. Project Description
In a Web 2.0 environment, social media software systems such as blogs allow us to easily create personal websites that can perform a number of functions. Blogs can be used for keeping a journal, documenting a project, publishing text or multimedia content to a wide audience, promoting creative work, creating networks and connecting users to others' blogs and social media system content.
Wordpress has become one of the most popular free, open-source systems available. Even users with minimal web development skills can create a personalised blog website either on Wordpress.com, or can install the software from Wordpress.org on their own web server. Themes, widgets and plugins allow users to customise their Wordpress site so that it makes a visual statement in keeping with the content of the site, and these customisable elements provide a range of functionality to suit a variety of purposes. Wordpress users range from individuals to organisations and collective groups with content ranging from the intensely personal to branding and product promotion.
This assessment task will involve the redevelopment of your own personal blog using selected plugins or widgets to add and customise the blog functionality. The idea is to develop an understanding of various aspects of web technology via the plugins and widgets that you will be implementing.
You will also be assessed on the content you develop in the blog - you will use this blog to document your creative development work throughout the Unit, and you may add any other material you choose to populate the site with rich and engaging content. You can write personal journal-type entries, or professional journalism-styled articles, or document your research for the Unit, add images, videos and links to other content on the Internet.
You will be shown how to incorporate widgets and develop existing functionality into the Wordpress personal blog developed in semester 1 in the DDM unit. Students will be required to implement, activate and customize widgets and plugins for Wordpress to facilitate the following functionality:
- a contact form with Akizmet spam protection;
- tag cloud building - make sure all of your posts have appropriate tags so your tag cloud becomes a point of interest;
- categories - create some custom categories to divide your posts into groups that can easily be accessed from the Categories menu, or you can create a link on you main menu;
- image gallery / slideshow (minimum of one of these) implemented on at least one page;
- a menu item linking to an internal web page to be used for your CV or other related information;
- a menu item linking to an external web page (to be used later for image gallery website AT3);
- another widget or plugin of your choice (depending on what your theme will allow);
- add your classmates’ blog URLs to your “blogroll” (it is important to create links with similar external sites to improve your "searchability";
Focus on your own blog content development by making posts and creating galleries, portfolios, slideshows etc. Comment on other classmates' blogs.
- Own blog posts - minimum 30 posts
- Comments on other blogs - minimum 20 comments
LLN COMPONENT - WRITING BLOG CONTENT
You must use a Wordpress blog for this project to ensure everyone is working with the same plugins and widgets.
You must post at least 30 entries in your blog over the semester.
See CRT website and weekly classnotes for references relating to this assessment task.